Wednesday, September 25, 2013

My Solo Journey Begins

For those of you who know me, you'll know where this new blog and new Facebook Page- Flying Solo: The Journey of a Motherless Mum, is coming from.

For those who don't, I lost my precious Mum on the night of April 28th of this year, suddenly, to congestive cardiac failure. She was a light in my life, my best friend and my world. I lost my beloved Dad to bowel cancer in 2004 and was, with the help of my mother, only just coming to grips with living in a world without him.

Now that my universe has been shaken up for a dramatically charged second time, I'm making some changes in my life. I have been writing for a while, for both work and for personal reasons and believe that I have something to offer women and daughters who are in a similar situation to me.

I thought about starting a small, hopefully tight-knit online community where Motherless Mums in Melbourne and surrounds could chat, support each other and grow together. I thought about contacting bereavement support groups and finding some way of meeting other women who are making a new pathway in life without their parents.

But I've decided I'll start small. I want to be able to use my experience in grief and loss to show people that it is okay to grieve and okay to feel weakened, even as parents of children who really need a rock in their lives. It's okay to break down and cry, to feel angry one moment and at peace the next and it's okay if it takes months or years to come to terms with a significant loss such as the loss of a parent.

I want even just one person out there to see that it's okay to feel lost and to feel like the world has paused for a moment. I want to talk about my feelings, my thoughts on bereavement, death and grieving, my thoughts on being the survivors left on Earth and my feelings on how it is to parent as a young woman without a female role model to guide you in your pathway to becoming the best Mum you can be.

I will discuss religion, so beware. I will discuss my feelings on euthanasia and I will talk about life after death, for the victims and the survivors. But this blog and my Facebook Page will not be a gloomy, depressing place. My heart is full of love and I want people to share my journey, this new journey I'm facing. I want to share my life, my work and the world as I see it.

. My outlook on love, family, friends, life, death, work and happiness has been forever changed. You can't help but become a different person when you face a profoundly personal loss. It's totally natural.

So if you're out there wondering what it feels like to lose a parent, don't think about it. Instead, go and hug your Mum or Dad, or go text them to say you love them. Do it for all the Motherless Mums and Dad-less Daughters out there who wish they had that moment with their loved one again.

I hope you all find something meaningful in my messages, I hope my words bring you closer to your loved ones and I hope that you stick around, I promise it will be worth it

L
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment